32 St James’s Square, London

32 St James's Square 660St James Area 660

Old London House
32 St James’s Square
London, SW1
England

Year Built: 1819 – HI Renovation: 2011
Six-story building
7, 944 rentable square feet

32 St James’s Square is a Grade II listed building which originally dates back to the 17th Century located in the prestigious St James’s Square of London. The property is described within the historical records as a ‘terraced town mansion’ with a ‘highly refined neo-classical facade’. The property is arranged with one floor below ground and 5 stories above ground totaling 7,944 square feet. St James’s Square provides a mixture of modern office accommodations and elegant common rooms. Located in one of London’s premier business addresses and is renowned for its private clubs, hotels, restaurants and retail. The property is situated on the eastern side of the square, south of its junction with Charles II Street.

Additional Property Information

Amenities

  • Excellent natural light
  • Comfort cooling
  • Gas fired central heating
  • Five person passenger lift
  • Under floor trunking
  • WC’s
  • Kitchen

St James Conservation Area

In 1663 St James’s Square was built to house nobles and courtiers to Charles II and formed the first west end square in London. Wren’s St James Church on Piccadilly formed part of the same scheme. The streets to the west of the square were laid out in the 18th century and their regular grid pattern forms a key characteristic of the conservation area. The area includes a mix of commercial and residential uses including art galleries and auction houses to the west of St James’s Square. The area includes a number of main thoroughfares including Pall Mall, with its grand private members clubs.

The St James’s conservation area has one of the highest concentrations of listed buildings in the country, nearly 60 Grade I and Grade II* and over 90 Grade II. The area was designated in 1968 however was revised in 1974, 1987 and split in 1989 to form the Haymarket and St James’s Conservation Areas. The area is bound by St James’s Park to the west, Piccadilly to the north, the Mall to the south and Bademas Street, Charles II Street, Whitcombe Street and Cockspur Street in the east.

32 St James’s Square: The First 100+ Years of History

The building was commissioned by Bishop Cockerell in 1819. The builder, David Jonathan, and carpenter, Joseph Drown, commenced construction in September 1819. Despite an estimated cost of £7500 and a requirement to complete by December 1820, the building actually cost £11,124 and was completed late (final payments were settled in April 1822). The Bishop’s private estate footed the excess costs. It is accepted that the design is largely attributed to C.R.Cockerell (son) as correspondence on design is signed by him. The Survey of London records that the  house was occupied by 1821.

The Survey of London notes that repairs were carried out in 1876 and that in 1897 alterations were carried out by W.D.Caroe. These alterations were to prepare the house as a private residence for Bishop Mandell Creighton. The Caledonian club at no.33 St James’s Square, is understood to have leased No.32 St James’s Square from the Bishop of London on a yearly basis from 1919 until 1949 as a means of increasing their bedrooms and seated meal accommodation for members.

Contact Information

Christopher Selsby
Executive Vice President, Director Europe

Cleveland House
33 King Street
London
SW1 Y 6RJ
cselsby@harwoodinc.com
Phone: +44 (0) 207-839-7209

© 2011 Harwood Inc | All Rights Reserved | Site Credits